Optrox driver for Linux
The short story is: forget it.
These are the Optrox scanners:
- Photomaker 3C (Parallel port)
- Photomaker 3E (Parallel port)
- Photomaker 3F (Special ISA card)
- Photomaker 3S (Parallel port)
- Photomaker 6E (Parallel port)
- Photomaker 6F (Special ISA card)
A guess could be that F is for fast, E is for rEgular and S is for Sheet-fed. All exept 3S are Flat-bed scanners, the figure could be a hardware revision number.
What has happened?
- I got an Optrox scanner.
- It was used for some time on my Windows machine. (I admit to sins.)
- The company Optrox Technology Corporation, in Taiwan, went out of business. The offices are now closed. (This has been confirmed by a former employee.)
- I wanted to use the scanner on my Linux machine.
- I contacted an former employee, who kindly forwarded my mail to the programmer that had been writing the Windows drivers for the Optrox scanner. I am still waiting for an answer...
- As there hasn't been much of an anwer from the ex-Optrox people I have made dumps while running the scanner from Wine. This works excellently, as a matter of fact. Now I only (heh) need to reverse-engineer this protocol.
- I gave up and put the scanner in the recycling room so someone using Windows can pick it up. Perhaps some day, someone will write a driver for it, but it won't be me.
back to /<-r4d s0Ph+w4r3.